Skip to main content

How to Find Your Soulmate: Five Easy Steps

Do you know someone who is perpetually single despite being a great catch?  How about someone who perpetually picks men or women who are completely wrong for them?  Or maybe someone who is in a relationship right now that is going no where?  
Why is it so difficult to find someone with whom we are compatible?  
When people, especially women, find out that I study love, they inevitably tell me a story about someone in their lives who is either single or in a bad relationship.  They want to know what they can tell them to help them along their path to love. The truth is, love is not a science.  I don’t have a special equation to give them that will guarantee that they find a true love that will last forever.  I wish I did.  Can you imagine all of the heartache that might be avoided if we were taught a clear and concise path to and through love?

Funny thing is, the media tells us that it’s simple.  We’re taught that love can happen in a moment and that if it is really true love, then we will live happily ever after.  Media has taught us that there are a few tricks to finding our true love: We can either look into the eyes of our soulmate and we will know; we can act helpless and wait to be rescued; or we can kiss enough frogs until one of them turns into a prince (this one is particularly dangerous because when you kiss frogs you date frogs...and when you date frogs, you ultimately marry a frog.  Then you have to divorce a frog or live with his ugly warts forever and divorces are uglier than the frog you kissed in the first place).  
The truth is, the media lies.  Most of us are sent out into the world with hearts full of dreams but no helpful tools to help us make that love happen.
So, I don’t have the magical equation, but I definitely have some helpful tools that might help you find someone with whom you really can spend the rest of your life loving.  
Here it is in five easy steps:
STEP 1: MAKE YOUR LOVE LIST  What do you love?  Before you can figure out WHO you want to love, you need to identify WHAT you love. 
Make a list of every single thing that you can think of that you love.  You can use the computer or just a blank piece of paper and a pen.  If you’re creative, get out your colored pencils.  


The beginning of my love list might include: my husband’s dedication to our family, seeing my girls smile at me every morning, my family, writing as a way to get out what’s inside, loving, grape juice with crushed ice, cherry kool-aid, hot chocolate with whipped cream and caramel sauce with a little bit of sea salt, cheering for Craig and the Seahawks when he played football, learning about God, waking up feeling rested, self-serve frozen yogurt stores, the smell of paper copy stores, crisp fall days, white sweatshirts, learning, teaching, soft blankets, playing board games, Craig’s music, back rubs, traveling overseas, discovering new places, being home, inspiring conversations, thinking through new ideas, dreaming, spreadsheets, sleeping babies, playing basketball, reading poetry, live concerts, finishing a project, a clean house...but not cleaning a house, s'mores, Chicago, Colorado, Seattle, Banff, mountains, fireworks, feeling at home with friends...

The goal of your love list is to help put you in a loving frame of mind.  This is a fun activity whether you are single, dating, or married.  Rereading your love list and it will not only make you happier about living in a world with so many things that you love, but it will also allow you to reflect of who you are in relation to the rest of the world.
STEP 2: CREATE YOUR MUST HAVE AND CANT STAND LISTS  

Before you go out into the dating world, it is important that you know what you’re looking for.  This list will help you figure out WHO you want your future husband or wife to be...or at least what qualities you would like for him or her to have.  
  
For this step, you must limit your must have and can’t stand lists to ten items each and you must be specific.  For example, you cannot just say that you would like for your partner to be athletic.  It’s too broad and leaves wiggle room later on when you are trying to convince yourself that the guy you’re dating is athletic because he bowls once in a while.  If you want a bowler, then say that you want a bowler.  But if you’d like someone who runs marathons or someone who works out daily at the gym, then say that instead.   
You’re going to need a piece of blank paper.  Title one side, “My Top Ten Must Haves” and number 1-10.  The other side is going to be for, “My Top Ten Can’t Stands.”
Here are some ideas for you to consider:
Traits (chemistry, communicator, sense of humor, verbal intimacy, emotionally healthy, strong character, artistic, kind, educated, organized, exciting, patient, tolerant, attractive, conflict resolver, affectionate, industrious, certain energy level, emotionally generous, intellectual, self-confident, unassuming, able to accept help, curious, loyal, adaptable)
Values (family life, shared interests, style and appearance, politics, charitable)
Family (children, parenting style)
This exercise is taken from a book called
Date or Soul Mate
by the founder of EHarmony.
Social Habits (like to go out, stay in, many friends or a few, gives me space or wants to spend all of their time with me)
Sexuality (abstinent, sexually knowledgeable, passionate)
Spirituality (religious practice, spiritual acceptance)
Financial/Career (financially responsible, ambitious, relaxed)
Here are a few of my must-haves from before I met Craig:
  1. He must either write poetry or sing...and be willing to share his poetry or songs with me.
  2. He must be taller than I am.
  3. He must be able to beat me at basketball.
  4. He must be intelligent and able to teach me about things that I don’t know.
  5. He must have dark hair and light eyes.
  6. He must be faithful.
  7. He must want children.
  8. He must adore me and make me feel like I am the only woman in his eyes.
  9. He must be able to provide financially for our family but also be okay with me working outside of the home.
  10. He must be a good conversationalist and we must enjoy talking to each other.
There are a few things that I might change now that I lucked into with Craig.  For example, at the time I didn’t realize how important it was for me to be with someone whose religious convictions were similar to mine.  We just lucked out that we were kind of at the same place with that.  I would encourage you to make that a higher priority than I did.
When you’re done with that list, it’s time to create your Can’t Stand List. This list is very similar to your Must Have List, but in reverse.  Here’s your opportunity to add a few more things to your list that you couldn’t fit on your must-haves.  Again, you are limited to just 10 items.  You can do this one on the same page as your must-haves if you’d like.  I find it easier to have these two together because when you’re evaluating a future prospect, you’ll want to have both lists easy to find.
After creating this list, it should be a bit easier for you to picture what your ideal spouse may be like.  These lists are SO IMPORTANT because when you meet or start dating someone who has something that is on your can’t stand list or who is missing something on your must have list, you are going to walk away immediately.  You’re not going to keep dating them in hopes that it will change.  That is a recipe for many years of unhappiness.  Just walk away.  Do not stay out of the fear of being alone.  It may not seem like it at first, but alone is a much happier place to be than stuck in a relationship with someone who has one of your fundamental red flags.
CAUTION: If you are married, do not do this list.  There are more beneficial exercises for you that will help you focus on the positive qualities of your spouse.
CAUTION: If you are currently in a relationship but not married, please pretend like you are not in that relationship when you are creating this list.  Sometimes people have a tendency to fib a bit or omit certain characteristics because that may eliminate the person who they are currently dating.  Please take note of that as you do this exercise.
STEP 3: SELF IMPROVEMENT
Now that you have a clearer vision of who you are looking for, take a moment to think about what type of person they might want.  What do you think that they might find attractive?  For example, if you are looking for someone who is athletic and loves to work out at the gym, then might they be attracted to someone who also enjoys working out at the gym?  Or if you are looking for someone who is honest, then might they like someone who is honest too?  
Who do you see when you look in the mirror?  Who do you want them to see when they look at you?  
On a new piece of paper, make a list of the top three qualities that you think that your dream spouse might look for in their spouse.
Now, go over that list and compare the list to who you are and how you are currently living your life.  What do you need to do to become that person?  Pick at least one of the areas to work on so that you can become the person who you want them to want.
STEP 4: ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNER
Everything is easier if we have someone in our lives to help hold us accountable.  After you’ve created these four lists, please share a copy of them with a trusted friend. Ideally, this will be someone of the same sex or someone who you know will always be just a friend.  Explain to them what they mean and ask them to hold you accountable in sticking to the lists when you find someone new.
STEP 5: BE THERE 
The final step is simple.  Put yourself in the types of places that your ideal person would be.  For example, if you don’t want a future husband or wife who enjoys hanging out in bars or clubs, then bars and clubs are not where you should spend your time.  If you want someone who loves watching live sports, go to live sports games.  If you want someone who loves to ski, hang out on the mountain.  You get the idea.
...
So, there it is -- five steps to finding the love of your life.  Living happily ever after isn’t simple even with the most compatible partner, but it sure is a lot easier than trying to make it happen when you’re spending your time with someone who isn’t right for you.
Let me know as you go...what’s on your love list?  What are you looking for in your mate?  I’d love to hear your success stories too! 

Live Love,
Rachel

Comments

  1. Great stuff! Gonna point people towards these exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I'm going to go through these exercises as well as encourage others to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback, Jeremy and Kim. These are some of my favorite exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, Rachel. I really enjoy reading what you write (and I love that spreadsheets are on your love list!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Such a great post. You give some great advises here. I think I have to do these exercises because I am wondering in my 22 years of existence no one ever courted me. How I wish I could find my soul mate too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going through a terrible break up right now and have done some of these things but probably not all of them. During this last relationship however I was very open with my list so to speak and he was assuring me that his beliefs and dreams were the same as mine. When it came down to real life however it turned out they were not and now I am starting over. He was my first real love and I am not at a young age. I am 38 and it has taken me a long time to figure everything I want and who I am. Feel very crushed and like there is not a lot of hope. I hope starting over with your lists make a difference. Thank you for the insight. Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is my first time on your site-fantastic stuff!!! Denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robert Speech student- I'd better get to work on my list, I'm 50 but there's alot of miles left on these tires :-) thanks Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last tine I made a list and I attracted someone who was not in love. I guess I made some mistake as I compromised some of qualities in hurry. What should I do now

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Dark Side of Love in the NFL: A Look at the Jovan Belcher Murder Suicide

This morning I opened my twitter page where I read that Jovan Belcher killed himself at Arrowhead Stadium after killing Kasandra Perkins, his girlfriend and mother of his 3-month old daughter.  Tears filled my eyes.  For her.  For him.  For everything that I know about the dark side of love and relationships in the NFL.  Twitter followers used words like “Incomprehensible” and “Senseless."  
To outsiders, it may have appeared as if Jovan Belcher had a perfect life.  He was a player on the rise with a contract worth $1.9 million.  He had a beautiful girlfriend and a healthy daughter.  Perhaps it was even hard for Belcher not to buy into that illusion, to begin wondering why, if they he had a perfect life, did he still feel like something was missing? 
Less than a month before their daughter was born, Perkins posted a game-picture of Belcher on her Facebook page with the caption, “In LOVE with SUPERMAN ♥."   Superman?  It could be argued that he was.  


An undrafted free agent in …

Love Lessons: For Our Daughters

Craig and I have three daughters. It is easy to think of them as our little princesses - but the reality of how quickly they will grow into young ladies is ever present. 
Journey, our eldest, is just five years old.Last Halloween, she came home from preschool and said, “Daddy, I think that you should choose my classmate, Oliver, for me to marry.”“Why do you think that you should marry Oliver,” Craig asked her.“He was a knight for Halloween and I was a princess,” she explained.“He can protect me like you protect Mommy”, she said.
I wanted to sit Journey down to explain that choosing a husband is more complex than finding someone who knows how to make himself look like a knight in shining armor.  Likewise, I imagine Oliver’s parents might want to sit him down to explain that choosing a wife is more complex than finding someone who dresses as a princess.  
Journey is always on the lookout for the boy she will marry.  Right now, the idea of marriage blends easily into the magic of a playful…